A strong sweet tooth runs in my family. So much so that on summer nights after dinner, we regularly embark on a hunt for dessert in Boise. While the labor shortage has meant many of our go-to dessert spots have remained closed after COVID, we are still finding sweet treats around town. When the sun still hangs high in the sky, cool down at these spots for snow cones, shave ice, ice cream and other treats.
Snow Cones + Shave Ice:
- Snow Cone Shack at the Stinker Store on Apple and Boise Ave in Southeast Boise – This classic snow cone shack stands out with so many flavors. Our favorite is tigers’ blood.
- The Shack Hawaiian Shave Ice on 13th Street across from the Stinker Store has become a staple in the North End for a post-Camel’s Back refreshment.
- Tiki’s Shave Ice Food Truck – Available for private events, we once booked Tiki Shave Ice for an end-of-school-year party and it was a huge hit.
- Hobson’s Hut on Eagle Road and McMillan offers Dole whip soft serve (like Disneyland!). You can order shave ice as a topping, too!
- M&W Market on Warm Springs – After a day at the pool in the East End, we love stopping here for slushies, especially the new cherry lime flavor.
Ice Cream + Frozen Yogurt:
- Blue Cow Frozen Yogurt is a staple in our family and is part of many of our traditions.
- Goody’s Soda Fountain is a must-go after any dinner in Hyde Park.
- Delsa’s Ice Cream Parlour in West Boise has a retro feel to it and we love to venture out there for after-dinner treats.
- The STIL is requested repeatedly in our house. The Deja Vu flavor is a hit!
- Stella’s Ice Cream has locations in downtown Boise, Eagle and Nampa, as well as more than 15 vegan flavors.
Drive-In’s + Bakeries
- Fanci Freeze – The milkshakes at Fanci Freeze make any hot day in town worth the sweat.
- Westside Drive-In – The famous ice cream potato put the Westside Drive-In on the map, and it’s a novelty that remains a cornerstone of summer in Boise.
- Hawkins Pac-Out – A hot day of hiking at Bogus Basin isn’t complete without a stop at Hawkins Pac-Out. You can’t go wrong with their seasonal fresh strawberry shake and shake-of-the-month.
- Chip Cookies – Who doesn’t love a still-warm chocolate chip cookie fresh out of the oven on a cool Boise summer night? Chip Cookies delivers and stays open late, and they’ll even deliver a bottle of cold milk.
- Certified Bakery – From the team behind The Wylder, Certified Kitchen + Bakery in Hyde Park has great daytime pick-me-ups. Their display case is full of treats like lemon bars, butterscotch budinos and even ice cream sandwiches.
- The Modern’s desserts are classics. I love their churros, and the beignets on the menu now are delicious.
- Fork’s warm butter cake caps off any meal, any time of year.
- The Wylder’s butterscotch budino is sweet, buttery, chilled and leaves me craving it all the time.
If you’re looking for things to do outdoors, check out the list we compiled last year. It’s going to be one hot summer, so I hope this list helps you find relief as the weather warms.
Leave a Reply